1944-2009 was a well-known Georgian writer, dramatist and scriptwriter. For years he was the chief prose editor at Merani Publishing and the magazine Omega. Shataidze’s first short story White Flowers (1968) instantly gained popularity among Georgian readers; he then published several collections of novellas, stories, radio plays and wrote numerous feature and documentary film scripts. In 2009 the director Giorgi Ovashvili made a film The Other Bank based on Nugzar Shataidze’s story: it was shown at international film festivals in over thirty countries and won the author the prize for Best Screenplay at the Gonfreville Film Festival (France). Cooperation between writer and director continued with the short story The Island, which later became an acclaimed film, Corn Island, directed by Ovashvili. The film was among nine films shortlisted for an Oscar 2015 in category the Best Foreign-Language Film. The writer’s creative work is imbued with a particular pained empathy for his country and for mankind in general. There is almost no significant stage in the history of Georgia, especially that of the twentieth century, that has not received the author’s attention. Shataidze’s short stories have been published in several countries: Anthology of contemporary Georgian short stories: A Man Zero - ADK Publishing 2015, Azerbaijan; Georgian Fiction: Literatura Georgiana - Instituto Tlaxcalteca de la Cultura 2015, Mexico; Contemporary Georgian Fiction - Dalkey Archive Press, 2012, USA.
- Journey to Africa / The Island, Intelekti Publishing, 2014
- The Other Bank, Palitra L Publishing, 2010
- A Meeting, Georgian Biographical Centre, 2010
- Tramway 7, Publishing Saari, 2005
- November Rain, 1990, 2004
- Europe’s Not for Me, Publishing Arete, 2004
- Kheleuri, Publishing Merani, 1998
- Elikari, Publishing Merani, 1996
- The Old Country House, Publishing Merani, 1990
LITERARY PRIZES AND AWARDS
- Prize for the best screenplay at Gonfreville Film Festival France 2009 for The Other Bank
- Literary award SABA 2005 in category the best short story collection for November Rain
In case of using the information, please, indicate the source.